Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fiestas and Siestas

  Spaniards never sleep! At least not during the night. That's one thing I've had to adjust to. They eat dinner at 9:30 or 10:00 and then go out after. And it's not just the young people; it's totally normal to see families out and about at midnight, just walking around. Moms and babies too! The Metros and streets are packed with people at nights. It makes you think it's so much earlier than it is. The bares and discotecas stay open until 5 or later. The Metro closes at 1:30am and reopens at 6:00 so teenagers and college students normally stay until then so they can ride home. !! If you're wanting an early night, you're looking at 3. They don't believe me when I tell  them places in the US close at 2.
  It sounds shocking, I know. The only way they function is that they have breaks during the day to go home and rest. All the businesses and stores shut down from 2-5 to eat lunch and nap. They go back to work at 5 and leave at 8. As Americans, siesta time is really frustrating. You can't run your errands in the afternoon or go anywhere. I'm not a napper, so I try to run or be productive during the down hours. I start classes on Monday, so I'll probably be staying at the school during the siesta to work on lessons. Who knows, maybe I'll even learn to sleep during the day.... maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment